Monday 7 May 2012

Taking the easy way out?

Not particularly work-related, but I've just suggested to Him (the boyfriend) that I transfer his hobby website (which I upkeep at his request) to Blogger, enabling both easier editing for me and the ability to create content for him.
I originally taught myself HTML out of curiosity whilst at university ten years ago - at that point writing code in Notepad was the way to create myself a website hosted by the uni.  I can create working web pages and understand how to style with CSS.  He can't.
His reaction to the suggested transfer was extremely negative, based on the principle that embracing the services of Blogger would mean no need for any coding skills.  He admitted the hypocrisy of this but has forecast that the future will be full of 'experts' we will have to consult for everything since we will never have learnt any skills to do things for ourselves; we will then be exploited by the companies offering such services.
Whilst I can see the basis of his argument, I see tools such as Blogger as just that; tools which make tasks easier.  But if I didn't have any HTML/CSS skills, would I still be curious to learn them in order just to make minor changes to the look of a site?

2 comments:

  1. I think if you're the kind of person who is inquisitive about these things then you'd probably find a way to play around with HTML/CSS anyway. Moving his site over to Blogger just seems like a way to make everything a bit easier for yourself, thus giving yourself more time to learn new coding skills :) Maybe it will give you more time to start a different project where you can use skills you wouldn't need to use for a standard blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very sensible view! Maybe this is the hint I need to properly get my head around JavaScript :-)

    ReplyDelete